Awhile back, I shared some of my favorite recipes that I've made from Martha Stewart's Cookies book, but those were just the tip of iceberg. There's 175 recipes in this book! I've made more than 20 of them, for special occasions, Sunday night desserts, and lots and lots of Michigan football tailgates. Here's some more of my top picks - ones that I would make again and again.
Chocolate-Ginger Brownies - I wouldn't really consider these cookies, but Martha put them in her cookie book, so I'll just roll with it. These were super easy to make, and there were very few dishes to wash at the end (always a bonus!). You just melt some butter and chocolate in a saucepan, and then stir in the rest of the ingredients, including ground ginger and grated fresh ginger. These tasted unlike any brownie I had ever had before - they were fudgy and chocolaty, and the ginger made them sort of spicy!
Pecan Tassies - These are like the perfect little Southern-style treat. While I've never been partial to more than a bite of pecan pie (soooo sweet), I do love pecans. These kind of take the best parts of pecan pie and put them into bite-sized, not-as-cloyingly sweet packages. And I love the method for making them - you press the shortbread-like crust onto the bottom and sides of mini-muffin cups, and then you fill them with pecans and brown sugar glaze.
Gingersnap-Raspberry Sandwiches - I really had no idea that homemade gingersnaps would be so awesome, but these are. They could totally be eaten on their own, or made into these cute little cookie sandwiches with jam. One memory that stands out from making these was that I ran out of raspberry jam when I was only halfway through assembling the sandwiches. So, I started using apricot preserves. But then, those ran out, too. So I tried some jarred hot fudge, and then some peanut butter also. In the end, I had a huge, random assortment of gingersnap sandwiches, and you know what? They were all good.
All entries in the "Cook The Book" Series:
- Martha Stewart's Cookies: Iced Hermits, Cream-Filled Chocolate Sandwiches, Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Icing, Chocolate-Ginger Brownies, Pecan Tassies, Gingersnap-Raspberry Sandwiches
- Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Creme Brulee
- Martha Stewart's Cupcakes: Chocolate-Salted Caramel Cupcakes, Stout Cupcakes, Triple-Citrus Cupcakes, Blueberries and Cream Cupcakes, Streusel Cupcakes, Raspberry Marble Cheesecakes, Chocolate-Mint Cupcakes, Mocha Cupcakes, Strawberry Cupcakes, Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes, Mint-Filled Brownie Cupcakes
- Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts: Coffee Cream Pie, Chocolate Pear Tart, Strawberry Icebox Pie
- Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen: Sweet Corn & Wild Mushroom Soup
- Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London's Ottolenghi: Asparagus Mimosa, Very Full Tart
- Tyler's Ultimate: Chocolate Banana Bread