|You know what I don't want to eat at Baconfest? Plain chunks of bacon.|
Now, to be 100% honest, I've never been the worlds biggest bacon fanatic. I think it has something to do with how smelly it is while it cooks. In fact, I went through a few year phase where I just wouldn't eat it. I'm past that now, and even cook with it once in awhile. When I saw that the restaurant lineup for Baconfest read like a who's who of my favorite restaurants in Detroit, I rounded up some friends and planned to be a VIP in attendance. We absolutely did not make it to all of the booths - it seriously boggles my mind that anybody could do that - we were tapped out of bacon-eating an hour in, and we were even sharing samples! I may have discovered that bacon is just not something I enjoy eating in excess. Regardless, here's the highlights and lowlights:
|BLT & German Potato Salad from Sub Sonic Subs. Yes please!|
- Bacon-Wrapped Country Terrine from The Root. I know I've said it before, but I love The Root. And I love the old-school preparation they chose here - who makes terrines anymore? Everybody should, they're awesome. Served with a homemade spicy mustard, this was one of my favorite bites all night. #charcuterieobsessed
- BLT & German Potato Salad from Sub Sonic Subs. I had never even heard of this restaurant before, but this sandwich totally rocked. It seems like a cop-out to serve a BLT at a bacon festival, right? Who cares, it was great. And the potato salad was topped with some sort of spicy, bacon-y deliciousness. This was the only place I went back to twice.
- Braised Slab Bacon w/ Heirloom Tomato Cassoulet from Ocean Prime - Sounds fancy, but it was simply perfect. A chunk of braised sweet & smoky pork belly sitting on top of a warm white bean ragout. I wouldn't have wanted more than a few bites of it, because it was rich, but luckily that's exactly what they were serving - a few bites.
- Biscuits & Bacon Jam from The Union Woodshop - I don't know how they qualify this as bacon "jam" but I also really don't care. Sweet bacon mush served with a biscuit? Alright, bring it on.
- Bacon On A Stick (Bacon strips dipped in liquid brown sugar with BBQ sauce and pepper) from Green Lantern Pizzeria - who knew just bacon on a stick could be one of the stars of the show? It was so sweet it was basically like bacon candy. And we all lost our minds over it.
|Bacon Meatloaf with Arugula Salad from The Franklin Grill|
- Can we discuss the drinks that were offered? The cocktails and wine were absolutely terrible. The only liquor options were one of the pre-chosen 5 or so cocktails. Three of them involved bacon vodka, which was a total no-go for me. Absolutely not. The other 2 were basically mixtures of pure liquor. Seriously, we watched them make it. Not the most refreshing option to wash down all that bacon. The wines were equally terrible. Only two were offered - the white wine was some sort of apple wine that tasted like a Sweet Tart but worse. The red wine tasted like vinegar. There were a variety of Michigan microbrews on tap, which is always a good thing. No complaints on the beer front. I should have stuck to just that.
- I figured "wow, these drinks suck, I'll just get a bottle of water!" Except no, I couldn't. Not more than two hours into the event, all the bottled water was gone. So wait - you're going to feed me huge amounts of the saltiest food in the world and not have enough water to go around? Really? Seriously? Come on. Oh - and I heard this happened last year too. Terrible.
- I had the following conversation with a very large man. He asked me to pass him a basket of food from a table I was near. It was Rosemary Bacon Foccacia with Whipped Ricotta and Roasted Peach Bacon Chutney from The Meeting House. There was also a teeny-tiny, microscopic bit of some sort of green herb garnish on top. I then watched the man turn up his nose and pluck any and all green pieces off and set them aside. Jokingly, I said "oh, the green stuff won't hurt you! hahaha" He then grumble-growled at me "WE'RE AT A MEATTTTTT FEST!!!" Sigh. I guess he was right.
- Pork Belly Bahn Mi from One Eyed Betty's - Oh, One Eyed Betty's, I love you so much, so it hurts me to do this. But this sandwich sucked. You had clearly pre-made them and wrapped them in foil to keep them warm. As soon as I unwrapped it, copious amounts of grease leaked out all over my hand, making me not want to go much further. I know it's a Baconfest. I get it. But this was just too greasy. No bueno.
- Some of my favorite restaurants, that were on the original list of participants, were total no-shows - Local Kitchen & Bar, Grange, Green Dot Stables - where were you? I missed you!
|Bacon Mac & Cheese from one of the many places serving it.|